Green Economy Innovations for Service Delivery Conference – All presentations now available online
May 19, 2021
water sector desk,
Alternative Service Delivery Unit,
Resilient Cape Town
In partnership with the City of Cape Town’s Department of Enterprise and Investment, GreenCape hosted a two-day Green Economy Innovation for Service Delivery Conference on the interactive Enlit Africa digital event platform on 21 and 22 April 2021.
This digital conference ran over two days, and hosted 63 speakers for 14 sessions over three channels, showcasing local and international best-case examples of alternative service delivery for informal settlements, across energy, water and sanitation, and waste management.
“We can learn so much from reviewing local and international examples of alternative service delivery solutions for informal settlements across energy, water and sanitation and waste management,” said Alderman James Vos, City of Cape Town Mayoral Committee member for Economic Opportunities and Asset Management during his opening address. “We are working transversally across various City departments to drive innovation in service delivery, and unlocking the economic potential of this innovation remains a high priority for us,” he added.
Day 1 of the conference focused on sector-specific sessions hosted simultaneously across energy, water and sanitation, and waste management. Day 2 of the conference had cross-cutting panel discussions, covering procurement, public and private collaborations and the need for effective community engagement and mobilisation.
All of the presentations for the conference are now available to view. Click on the links below to access the recordings.
- Panel discussion: Financing innovative energy projects for basic service delivery
- Presentation: A municipal subsidy for solar - All systems go!
- Interview: Energy innovations centred around employment, entrepreneurship and empowerment
- Presentation: Making clean cooking fuel accessible and affordable
Water & Sanitation
- Panel discussion: Metro-share on water and sanitation innovations in South Africa
- Presentation: Cost effective non sewered sanitation solutions being implemented in Kenyan cities
- Presentation: Opportunities & insights from a national sanitation technology piloting programme
- Presentation: Key learnings from developing & operating city wide sanitation solutions in Kenya
- Panel discussion: Creating value for waste incentives - a good or bad idea?
- Presentation: Learning from failure Introduction of moloks to informal areas in Stellenbosch
- Interview: Understanding perceptions and behaviour relating to waste management
- Presentation: Examples of alternative waste management practices in developing economies
- Panel discussion: Public Private Collaborations to Rollout Basic Services
- Panel discussion: The importance of building trust in communities
Day 1: Alderman Dan Plato, Executive Mayor, City of Cape Town
Day 2: Alderman James Vos, Mayoral Committee member for Economic Opportunities and Asset Management.
Recommended social media post: Access the Green Economy Innovations for Service Delivery Conference presentations, now available online.