Our Market Intelligence Report is for investors, farmers, agri-businesses, manufacturers and service providers in a number of areas – conservation agriculture, controlled environment agriculture and precision agriculture, with a strong focus on renewable energy, energy efficiency and water efficiency.
- 2017 Agri Market Intelligence Report
- 2016 Agri Market Intelligence Report
GreenAgri - a one-stop information portal for farmers, researchers, businesses and NGOs interested in smart agricultural practices, initiatives and research.
Opportunities: Fast facts
The biggest opportunities for farmers, green technology manufacturers and service providers are in:
Alternative energy sources and energy efficiency
Opportunities in energy audits and greener technologies for Western Cape’s 22,574 agriculture sector facilities, including packhouses and cold stores.
- EE market: Estimated market for SA agriculture & agri-processing is R45.5 million, with significant scope for growth. In the wine sector saving of ⅔ of energy consumption is possible.
- Solar PV in agriculture: Investments to date total R97.8 million with market size for solar-powered irrigation at R2.9 billion. With plummeting technology costs and municipalities allowing grid feed-in, the market potential is significant.
Water use efficiency technologies in irrigation
- Precision agriculture optimizes farming inputs with savings of 30% in water using drip irrigation
Conservation agriculture (CA)
70% of grain producers in Western Cape practice CA, with significant scope for expansion in other agriculture sectors.
Market for manufacturing of no-till machinery is worth c. R1.14 billion, with opportunities for local manufacturing and export to the rest of Africa.
Controlled environment agriculture (CEA)
- CEA involves controlling the growing environment of a crop or animal through the use of technology (from netting to computerised systems).
- There are opportunities for local manufacture of CEA components and systems; private and equity finance; specialised skills.
- The market for CEA in the Western Cape is valued at R600 million with 15% growth per annum predicted.
GreenCape’s work in this space
Our work aims to drive the greening of agricultural value chain in the Western Cape in two ways:
Growing the market for green technologies, systems and processes in agriculture and agri-processing.
Developing sustainable and competitive agricultural value chains
We do this through GreenAgri and the support we provide through the Agriculture Sector Desk - market intelligence, advocacy and networking opportunities to investors, businesses and farmers in the agriculture sector. For more information, see the links on the left.
For other related tools, resources and information see the Library below.