GreenCape’s energy efficiency sector desk's Market Intelligence Report is aimed at investors and businesses who are currently active or interested in entering the energy efficiency sector in South Africa, and the Western Cape specifically. It provides an overview of the market, including the key players, legislation and regulation, opportunities and challenges, key developments and achievements.
Opportunities: Fast facts
- Growth of the energy services market over the past years has been spurred by energy security concerns – stemming from rising electricity costs, combined with decreasing technology costs
- Increased uptake of rooftop PV, showing growth of more than 330% in less than a year
- Increased use of ESCO financing model in the energy services market
- Large retailers are uniquely positioned to influence not only their own sustainable energy programme but also that of their suppliers to adopt energy efficient practices and embedded generation.
- Array of supporting incentives for energy services have made for a conducive marketplace, from the various Section 12 tax incentives, to myriad financing mechanisms from international and local financiers.
- Solar PV systems have been designated for public entities, giving a boost to local manufacturers of key components – such as PV panels, inverters, mounting structures etc.
GreenCape’s work in this space
The energy services sector, which forms an integral part of GreenCape’s energy programme, aims to support the growth of the renewable energy and energy efficiency industries in South Africa.
The term energy services has been used to encompass these two market segments, as service providers in the energy space are increasingly offering holistic solutions to end users, which include options of both efficiency and own generation or combinations of both. This is achieved by building and maintaining key relationships between actors across the value chain, growing our understanding of the space, identifying and unlocking barriers to investments and most importantly providing key industry players with valuable and objective market insights. All of which aligns itself with GreenCape’s mandate of unlocking investment opportunities and creating jobs.
- Divide and conquer, Eskom
- What Eskom is putting a risk
- Tackling Africa’s energy deficiencies through small scale embedded generation
The resources listed here are essential reading, which provide a greater overview of the opportunities in this sector. For other related tools, resources and information see the Library.